Click here to visit ...

Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Business Chat - Celebrations! And a question





Hey, guess what people? It’s my anniversary! I’ve been writing the Business Chat for one year and one week now!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

Last week I gave you a challenge – the One Word Challenge. It’s the start to a series (not necessarily every week) on creating your brand, your story and your USP. As I went to write the second installment I thought, hmmmm…. I think I’ve touched on this subject before.

Well yes I have in small bits. Here. I want you to read these before I add more to them.

The Elevator Speech
Sell your story
Sell me your item online

There’s another reason why I was trolling over my previous posts. I have a confession. There’s a secret mission behind this column - I’m gathering material.

I will be launching a brand new website soon, very very very soon (this fall). The name is still a secret (because I don’t know it yet) but the concept is Business Thinking for Creative People.

As I’ve mentioned in a couple of posts/rants, making work is easy, selling it is work. If you don’t think of yourself as a business you aren’t one and you’ll end up drifting along if you’re lucky or worse, losing money. That is unnecessary. I don’t believe in the starving artist. When I was explaining this to a fellow artist she looked panicked and wailed, “but I don’t know HOW to think business!” I intend to change this.

My Business Thinking site will offer informative posts, tips and tricks along with the occasional tough love kick in the pants (we all need that). There will be hard facts, step-by-step tutorials, as well as insights on the creative business scene.

Today I want everyone to do a celebratory happy birthday dance for The Business Chat, and then tell me, what are your informational needs? Do you want a step-by-step course on how to set up an online shop? Instructions on setting up your Facebook business page? Learn how to register your business? Help with branding? Pricing? Do you want to meet those people who are running a successful creative business? Need help with craft show displays? Online shop help?

What can I do that will help you get to the next stage in your creative business?

You can leave comments here, or send me an email: Catherine@sailorgirl.com

No comments: