Click here to visit ...

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Book Recommendation

Last night I picked up a book that has been on my bookshelf at home for far too long.  I'm talking of course about Victoria Finlay's book - Buried Treasure (aka - Jewels: A Secret History.)

My original plan for today's blog post was going to be a couple extra 'bonus' inspirations, however once I picked up the book, I was completely and utterly sucked in. It's fabulous! I'm not sure exactly why it has sat on my bookshelf unread for so long. I've been told over, and over again how fascinating the book is. For some reason, I thought it was going to be more of a text book type book. Interesting, but not exactly a fascinating read. I was of course very, very wrong. 

If you haven't yet read it, try to get yourself a copy!

From Booklist

Inspired by the engagement ring she'd received from her fiance, Finlay set off on a journey that literally took her around the world intent on uncovering the history behind some of the planet's most valuable gems. Her investigation of amber takes her to a much--diminished mining town in Russia, where Stalin once had a gulag full of people to work the mines. Finlay visits with former pearl fishers in Scotland who used to search the rivers for mussels before they became endangered. In Egypt she discovers the truth about Cleopatra's legendary emerald mines, while in Burma she goes on a more personal journey to trace the roots of a sapphire her father bought for her mother. She lays out the myth of the supposedly cursed Hope diamond before debunking it as a tall tale made up by Pierre Cartier to make a sale. Part personal journey, part historical anecdote, this rich, comprehensive book will no doubt appeal to jewelry lovers curious about the story behind the sparkle. Kristine Huntley
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

2 comments:

dragonjools said...

It is fabulous - I've read it too - and her other book - the journey through the paint box is awesome too.

Jo-Ann said...

It is a favourite of mine. I also enjoyed her book Colours: travels through the paintbox.