Click here to visit ...

Sunday, August 01, 2010

What's up in Metal Clay

PMC CONFERENCE 2010
Well as I write this the PMC conference in Layfayette Indianna, at Purdue University is wraping up. I am so sad to have missed it but there will be another one in two years (carpool from Toronto anyone, in 2012?).

For any of you who have attended, tell us what you learned and what you loved. Please share.

In my search on what I might be missing I discovered there is access to some of the handouts from previous conferences on the PMC Guild Website. It is not substitute for attending but it may inspire you.



FAST FIRE BRONZCLAY Just Released!
On another news front there is a new version of BronzClay!!!
Metal Adventures has just released a new version of Bronzclay called Fast Fire BronzClay!!!

I have yet to try it but I am looking forward to experimenting with it as soon as I can get my hands on some. As soon as I heard, I let the ever so awesome BeadFX Buyer know and it sounds like she is ordering some soon!!!! (actually maybe it is already ordered...fingers crossed!)

Qualities about this FastFire BronzClay are:
  • fires in two hours
  • easier to make joins
  • richer yellow colour
  • less cracking
  • shrinkage of 10%
  • easier to file and drill after firing
In comparison to the Metal Adventures "original" BronzClay which takes approximately nine hours to fire and is tricky to join and very hard if fired correctly. (sadly not everyone has had success with firing the original version). NOTE: both these versions of BronzClay require kiln firing in activated carbon.

I cannot comment on whether this new Fast Fire BronzClay is more successul to fire but the reviews I have read so far are favourable. Stay tuned and I will let you know what I think.


Other Base Metal Clay Resource
If you have interest in base metal clays (which are less expensive but can be trickier in their firing and sometimes handling). Check out Hadar Jacobson, who is a pioneer in the metallurgy of base metal clay and has created her own bronze, copper and even steel clays. Check out her Blog!

No comments: