Click here to visit ...

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Joy of Metal Clay - Portable studio

I am often at a loss when it comes to organizing. This weekend I have taken on the challenge of organizing my studio and possibly letting go of some of the stuff I have been holding on to (because you never know when you might need it). Reorganizing and getting rid of stuff is always a challenge but I realized that I primarily use the stuff that is in my portable kit that I take when I travel and teach.



It took me a while to figure out but I ended up taking this old Art Bin (I bought a long time ago, I remember buying it and thinking this is great and not really putting it to good use until now).





What makes it great is the ability to divide up some of my cookie cutters (in the long narrow compartments in the picture) so that they are easily accessible by shape.




The most frustrating thing can be spending all your time sorting through your stash to find all the circles or hearts or what ever. Underneath this compartment I will stash my favorite textures. On top I will put in my basic tools. In all reality I only have a few tools I will use regularly. I have a ton others but find that the following are the ones I use the most:





From Left to right:


  • rolling slats
  • make up sponge (smoothing surfaces)
  • toothpicks
  • my ultra fine pin tool
  • paintbrush
  • ball stylus
  • pin tool
  • tweezers
  • sponge sandpaper
  • toothbrush (I use this to apply oil to texture)
  • brass brush (or steel brush)
  • agate burnisher


The other thing I bring with me is a simple little stash of fireable gemstones stored in a weekly pill organizer. It is the best to organize them and affordable as well.




I have a larger one that I will use to put in bits of silver wire and findings.


There are a few tips for making a portable studio. Share your ideas.

No comments: