Click here to visit ...

Monday, May 12, 2008

Playing with gold


These are some sample pieces made after Suzanne McNenly's photopolymer metal clay class. The gold used is 22k gold paint, and much more accessible to purchase than gold clay. It comes in a super tiny little bottle, but you can paint quite a few pieces with it.
Use the gold on fired, unburnished metal clay (still white), paint on 2 to 3 layers, and re fire with a torch. I particularly love the look once the whole piece has been brushed with a brass brush. It gives it a nice soft satin finish. - I now want to make everything two tone :-)

So, Kate Mckinnon arrives later tonight. I'm really looking forward to a week full of classes with her. In preparation for her coming, we decided to clean up the classroom a wee bit. On the backdoor of the classroom, there were some legacy broken mirror tiles from the previous tenant. We've been meaning to get rid of them for - oh, a couple years now. It was going to be a nasty job, so I kept putting it off.

I finally pulled them down on Saturday night, only to discover that the door was originally painted black, and of course was now plastered with tacky tape stuff to hold on all those mirrors. I managed to get most of the goo off with goo gone, but some of the sticky stuff remained. By this time, I was getting pretty tired, and decided to h*** with it, and painted the door anyway. I managed to get one coat on (it needs about 10!) - this is when we of course knocked over the paint can, and spilled the entire can on the floor of the hallway out back. Of course, I only bought the one can, so we had to get down on the floor and try to save the paint by picking it up with spoons :-) - It was really too bad we didn't have the camera with us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty hilarious. I always save my home improvement projects for the hour before company arrives too and there have been some notable incidents.

How can it even BE that the Blue Jays are out of town the whole time I am here? It's just not right.

Kate