Click here to visit ...

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Kate McKinnon - Day 1 Toggle Class

Whew! What a day. I have to say, Kate is probably the most engaging instructor I have ever come across. There were 12 of us in the toggle class today, and our heads are just swimming with ideas. We should have named the class toggles, and everything else you can think of. We covered clasps, rivoting, rings, chains....Probably more besides! I was really inspired by Kate's method of keeping the parts simple, and building structure and architecture with many cohesive elements. Today I worked on some clasps, headpins, and I've got a spinner ring on the workbench to finish up tomorrow.


Tomorrow and Saturday is all rings. We've got a 2 day class to fully explore rings in all their glory. I'll be bringing in some glass frit, resin, and paint for those who want to add some colour to their pieces.


Here are a few pics from the class today. Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot of the first batch of kiln fired goodies. We did have a bit of a kiln issue today. We made A LOT of stuff, and we really tried our best to keep things grouped together, but I think a few pieces got confused with other folks pieces. I'm sure we'll sort it all out today. Of course, we all made the same kind of stuff, and although I had heaps of textures available, the wallpaper textures from Hadar Jacobsen were a favourite. So picture this, 2 shelves completely jam packed with bars and rings of similar shapes and all the same textures....sigh.


No comments: