Click here to visit ...

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Play and the art of gift giving!

Where has the year gone? Yikes, it's that time again! Time to start thinking about what you're going to do about holiday gift giving. Yes, I'm aware that some of you, have been preparing for this for months, but I'd like to think that you're in the minority. The vast majority (myself included), need the cooler temperatures, to get our collective rears in gear! The thermostat has dropped (and late this year, at that), so it's time to make some fast plans. As a dedicated crafter (now billing myself as a Mixed Media Artist), I've been making handmade gifts for years. I started with sewing related items (stuffed animals, pincushions, clothing, cushions, placemats and napkins), then quilting and applique (including framed landscapes), and now paper, beads and all sorts of mixed media projects. I'll begin with a photo of my Mother's toy sewing machine. Nope, nothing to do with beading, and not being gifted to anyone, but as photos of most of the earlier items are nonexistent; I thought that I would give you a little peek into my crafting history. The thimble was my maternal Grandmother's, and although small in size, is really quite beautiful!
Now back to gifts! Are handmade gifts more economical? Can you really afford the time? Will they be appreciated? Are you stuck for ideas? I guess the answers to these questions are very personal, and something that you will need to answer for yourself. However this type of gift, does give you an opportunity to show someone that you care. It doesn't need to be expensive, not everyone will appreciate it (just don't continue to give to those people), but there's a big sale on at BeadFX (25% off, almost everything in the store - runs until December 2nd), the books and magazines are chock full of ideas, and you might even have time to squeeze in a workshop or two (check out the class calendar, on the BeadFX website). You know, you want to!!!
As for ideas, I have a million playful ones (because you know that you love making stuff)! Here are just a few: beaded &/or bead embroidered necklaces, bracelets, earrings, pendants, brooches, bezels, rings, ornaments, key rings, eyeglass holders/chains, pincushions, needle books, boxes and perhaps a little doll! A simple quilt block, collage, embroidery or landscape would look great framed, but don't forget to add beads, for an extra dash of pizzazz! Metal, polymer and metal clays present many options, as do Crystal Clay, Apoxie Sculpt and Ice Resin. How about making stitched and beaded covers for cell phones, tablets, eReaders and even handmade books? All this fun, is almost too much to stand!!
If you're anything like me, you'll probably be making gifts right up until the last minute.
But, do yourself a favour, and don't forget to treat yourself to something nice! Think of it as your reward, for getting through another holiday season (even though you probably won't be able to start working on it until January) Now get moving, relax and enjoy the playful journey, of making some very special gifts!!! Heh, heh...easy for me to say...I haven't even started yet......
By the way, no current holiday gifts have been exposed in this blog post, so don't start wondering, if one of them could be yours! LOL!!

No comments: