Click here to visit ...

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Getting to know...Deb Muss

Deborah Muss has been introducing potential lampworking students by giving them Just a Taste of how lampwork beads are made. Many students have gone on to take full introductory workshops to learn the art of how to make beads.

Like most of us, Deb was introduced to her creative side as a child. "I learned embroidery at an early age; my mother taught me to crochet and sew," she explains. "Soon I was altering patterns to make things fit me. Then I was into quilting, jewellery making and wood working. I have a closet full of craft stuff to cover any impulse. My mom is an amazing artist but somehow I did not inherit the gene to draw, so I had to channel my creativity into other art forms."

"As a teenager, I started making jewellery for myself and my friends," says Deb. "I would purchase glass beads or old necklaces to re-purpose. I still wear those earrings and I'm sure I've still got some of those beads in my closet." Her discovery of lampworking came from taking classes with Amy Waldman-Smith a number of years ago. "I was hooked," says Deb.

"I am inspired by many things - fashion, colours and necessity. I wanted to make a necklace with glass dangles," explains Deb, "and necessity forced my to figure out how to make headpins. Now I sell them at bead shows and at BeadFX."

"With respect to projects, I mainly make what I like and what appeals to me. I don't follow trends," she admits. "I also like to open my stash and see what I can put together. I have a notebook that I write or sketch ideas for future projects. I've also been known to use the back of a grocery receipt in a pinch."

"I love when I can get someone excited about lampworking and they want to continue with it by taking additional classes," says Deb.

When she isn't at BeadFX Deb is busy in the oil and gas industry. "Most days can be quite intense but I really enjoy my job and the people I work with. Plus, I get to travel and number of times a year and always try to sneak in a visit to a bead store, if I can."

Deb is also a 'tool junkie'! "I have refinished and recovered furniture; even built a few things," says Deb. "I have a secret desire to have a workshop like Norm Abram from the New Yankee Workshop television series.I drool overall all those tools and what can be done with a simple piece of lumber."

Deb's advice to others who create? "Don't stop! Make what you like. Take classes to learn new techniques even if you don't think you'll ever use them."

Upcoming classes with Deborah Muss:

Wednesday, August 13
Wednesday, September 17
Lampwork - Just a Taste
6:30 - 8:30pm

No comments: