Click here to visit ...

Sunday, December 22, 2013

InspirationFX: Elizabeth



InspirationFX
Get your creative juices flowing

Elizabeth
by: Dwyn Tomlinson

As I was making this, I was thinking about the paintings of Queen Elizabeth - with her massive brocaded dresses and ropes of pearls. These combined in my mind into the rich colours of carnelian and turquoise - with the ivory pearls as accents.

I ran out of supplies several times while making this and before I got to the length I wanted. I got tired of going back for more supplies - much as I love shopping for beads! - so for the final couple of pattern-repeats, I substituted antiqued copper daisy spacers for bead caps. This makes a difference in length, as the daisy spacers take up less room. Both look fine - see pictures below, although I really do prefer the look of the bead caps.

Total length of the version I made is 41 inches, 104 cm. You can wear it long, or shorter using a pearl shortener.

This has a total of 15 pattern repeats. Each repeat is 7 cm with daisy spacers, or 8 cm with the bead caps. Each repeat has 1 ivory pearl, 4 turq pearls, 1 jade pearl, 4 carnelian rondelles, and 10 spacers or bead caps.

To join the ends of the beading cable - I used a crimp, threading each end on from it's opposite direction, then crimping the crimp, and finally, hiding it with a crimp cover.

The pattern for this is:

  • 10 mm Swa Ivory Pearl,
  • metal spacer (daisy spacer or bead cap)
  • 4 mm turq pearl
  • metal spacer
  • carnelian donut
  • metal spacer
  • 4 mm turq pearl
  • metal spacer
  • carnelian donut
  • metal spacer
  • 6 mm jade pearl
  • metal spacer
  • carnelian donut
  • metal spacer
  • 4 mm turq pearl
  • metal spacer
  • carnelian donut
  • metal spacer
  • 4 mm turq pearl
  • metal spacer
  • And the repeat from the top.


















 

Components

Go to our components list for this project and to buy what you need!
Need some help with some of the techniques? Check our tips page.

No comments: