Get your creative juices flowing
by: Dwyn Tomlinson
I have to admit - I just flat out stole this idea from a young friend with rockin' taste.
This fairy light hair ornament looks like an earring from a distance, but actually clips into your hair with a small comb - which means that you can wear it large and with no weight on your ear lobe at all - and means you can still load up with earrings too if you want!
The basic idea is a small comb or hair clip, a long tether, and the dangle at the end.
- Make 3 feather dangles by putting 2-3 feathers in a feather crimp, and closing the crimp and securing.
- Using a jumprings, hang each feather dangle, 1, 2, 3 from each other - making a short chain of 3 links.
- Take a piece of about 2 feet long. Thread a dagger to the center, and twist to secure and make a short stem. Add another dagger on one side of the wire, placing it about 2 inches out from the twisted wire section, and twist until the wire twists up into a stem for the second dagger. Do the same on the other leg of the wire. Repeat again on each side, until you have a cluster of 5 daggers, each with nice twisted wire stems. Make a wrapped loop with the doubled wire and trim.
- Using a crimp, make a loop in the end of the softflex, add the dagger cluster and the feather dangle chain, and secure the loop with the crimp.
- Punch a hole in the comb and thread on the softflex and add a crimp. Check for length, and secure the crimp. The softflex dangle can be 4 - 8 inches - depending on your preference.
ComponentsGo to our components list for this project and to buy what you need!
Need some help with some of the techniques? Check our tips page.