Click here to visit ...

Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Joy Of Metal Clay: Copper Poppy Brooch




Here is a little project I worked on yesterday. A copper poppy brooch...made with Art Clay Copper (using a large circle cookie cutter and an ellipse or football shaped cookie cutter)



Roll out a piece of copper clay 1 mm thick and cut a large circle. Since I was using copper clay, I went big using a 2 inch circle.





Divide the circle into four parts (I used a circle which I had folded into four) and mark these four points. At these points you are going to use the ellipse cutter to cut notches in the circle.






Place the circle into a doming block. To shape and dry.


For this piece, I am going to put a brooch finding on the back and I want the back to be flat so I put a piece of paper in the bottom of the dome. (this makes the bottom flatter). See below, I just fitted a small piece of paper in the bottom of the dome.

Dry the piece.



Once dry, create a cutout shape for the brooch finding you are going to use. I used an inexpensive nickel finding that I am not going to fire but will glue on with resin after firing. (the finding is pictured below). Also you can embellish the front of the flower' oops I forgot to take a picture of this. You can place little balls or I took a ring of copper clay and textured a center (see below).





The piece now needs to to be pickled, polished and brooch placed on. I may try a few other things too. I will share next week.


Have a Happy Halloween tomorrow....

No comments: