Click here to visit ...

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Joy of Metal Clay - Inspirations from nature

This weekend I went on a getaway to a girlfriend's cottage. It was a chance to escape the day to day life and take in nature, friends, a good book and peaceful atmosphere.

I had intended to write a blog on the technique of painting leaves with silver clay...something most of us can now do since there are many small and beautiful leaves popping up everywhere. This did not happen as I wanted to include pictures of the process and I did not have any pictures in my archives(this post will come later this month or next).

Instead, I am going to share the inspiration I found this weekend at the cottage and my latest challenge. I took many pictures of the texture and beauty of the plants around the cottage. Here are a few of the photos I snapped; I hope that they may inspire you too:
























The trilliums above (the three petaled white flowers above) became my inspiration for the week. These flowers are the provincial flower of Ontario. When looking at them closely they are both simple and elegant and I realized that they would be a great challenge to make in metal clay. I am not sure how successful I will be as the ruffles along the petals may pose a challenge to create in silver clay but I have a few ideas to try. I may need more time than a week but I will keep you posted on the results.





Take time to look around you as sometimes inspiration is right in front of your eyes, you just have to look.


Have a great week!!!


No comments: