Click here to visit ...

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Swarovski Re-Branding - What used to be Swarovski is now CRYSTALLIZED

We received the following communication from Swarovski earlier this week - which is announcing, in short, that Swarovski wants to create more of a distinction between it's crystal ornaments business line - the Swarovski stores and the crystal figurines and their own line of jewellery, and their components business - the beads, pendants, rhinestones and other beady items.

As such - we are being told to change the way we present our Swarovski-made items. Rest assured, that when we now talk about CRYSTALLIZED(TM) - we are still referring to the same quality and sparkle that you have come to adore from these crystal beads.

Any of you who make jewellery for resale will want to know about this - as it may effect the way you label and market your items.

This overview chart of what's out and what's in will make it clearer. If you want to read the full text of their communication, it is here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oy. I guess these folks have never heard the expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

I mean, what's easier to say (and therefore sticks in the mind better): "Swarovski crystals" or "Crystallized Swarovski Elements?" Everyone knows and respects the Swarovski brand, why tinker with it?

People are going to continue to call them "Swarovski crystals" regardless of any company edicts; all this is going to do is confuse customers who will perceive that the "new crystals" aren't really true "Swarovski quality" anymore.

Or am I just being a curmudgeon?

Anonymous said...

I must be a curmudgeon too - I think this is dumb. I especially hate that they are making a noun out of an adjective. Crystallized indeed!

I have heard that is actually because of a family feud between heirs - one side is getting one business line and the other is getting the other, and they are fighting over the name.

Viki Banaszak said...

I think it is rediculous! My first thought is that people will think they are cheap crystals if it doesn't say Swarovski. If I hadn't seen this post I wouldn't have known. I passed by some marked Crystalized because it wasn't Swarovski when I was shopping before so I know it will hurt them.

Anonymous said...

I sent a comment yesterday but I guess it got lost.
Swarovski has always been known to be the finest in crystals. To call it something else is confusing to the customer. "Crystallized" sounds strange -- like something inferior. Are we to use it as a noun, even though it isn't? We will have to explain everytime we sell something with these lovely elements in it. I guess we have no choice. If the company wants it that way, I will follow the rules.

jewelry by NaLa said...

I agree with all the above comments. I think Swarovski is biting off its nose to spite its face here. This change in wording is tedious for the seller and confusing to the buyer. But I guess we have no choice but to comply ...