Click here to visit ...

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Contrasting Colours

This morning's stroll around the garden - which I do every morning when I let the dogs out because if I don't go with them, the blankety-blank puppy jumps the fence into the neighbor's yard! - anyway - this morning's stroll got me thinking about colour contrasts. First of all - there was a cardinal - way down the yard, but glowing like a beacon - bright red feathers on an emerald green background. Next was a goldfinch - I think. Mother used to call them flying dandelions. He was cavorting in the red leaves of the crabapple, not quite bloomed yet, but ready to pop any day now. And, as I was going back inside - the flash of a bluejay, a sapphire shock to the senses.

These strong colours out of place, so to speak, got me thinking about one of my two favourite elements of design - in this case - contrast. (The other is repetition.) I love strong contrast in my designs - you don't see a lot of monochromatic work from me. It's turquoise and red, or black and a jeweltone or cream and turquoise or some strong contrast. If I don't get the contrast in the jewelry, I make it with the clothing I wear it over, a red dragon bead over a black t-shirt, etc. In fact, my wardrobe is largely black - I am merely a walking jewelry display unit.

Speaking of displays of jewelry - check out this site - bijouxbead.com. This designer frequently shops at beadfx - and lo - that is, in fact, one of my beads as the centrepiece of that fabulous necklace on the front page! I'm truly flattered that my beads are being used in such handsome and fabulous creations.

I can speak for all of us at beadfx when I say it's a great thrill to see the work that others have done and know that we had a little part in inspiring it: whether it is a handmade component, a strand of commercial beads, or just recognizing someone wearing a necklace that we taught them how to attach the clasp. Just making the world a beadier place, one bead at a time.

No comments: